Michele On January - 11 - 2011

Doug and I have had an ongoing debate about one particular question for almost 29 years now.

I have one point of view, he has another. And since he has never, ever worn the object of the discussion, I don’t know why he has always had such an opinion. Perhaps it’s because he used to be more hardheaded and unwilling to admit when he’s wrong. Not that the word “wrong” comes forth from his lips very often even these days but still…

And just what is the question, inquiring minds want to know?

Do you, or do you not wear panties under pantyhose?

We discussed it again just the other day. It was a slow news day.

For those of you that think this is just too delicate a subject, please stop now and come back manana.

I’m a firm believer that the cotton crotch in pantyhose means that wearing panties at the same time is redundant. Doug thinks that most women still wear panties underneath. (Luckily for him he hasn’t gone out to do any research in person.)  To be perfectly honest I must admit that I haven’t conducted a study, ALA The Kinsey Report or anything. I just think I’m right. And it isn’t that Doug complains about my point of view, quite the opposite. It’s just that he’s held onto his notion for so long, that he has a hard time believing that he could be wrong.

In actuality I don’t think that there is a right or wrong answer. Not that I’d tell him that of course. I’m just assuming that most women don’t.

So today I Googled the question. I wasn’t even sure I’d get an answer. But I got one- more than one.

Then I kept looking and found another site which had posed the same question.

So I guess we weren’t the only people discussing this.

Of course if you believe what you see and hear in the fashion world these days, pantyhose are passe anyway, unless they’re actually tights which are a whole different thing altogether. But since I’m an AARPer, I still think that when you get dressed up, hosiery is in order. They just make your legs look better. And I think the older you get, the more you need them. Life is hard on legs. Well it’s certainly been hard on my legs anyway.

I told Doug what I’d read on Google. However he said I should still ask the question.

Do you or don’t you?

If you find the question too personal, please feel free to opt out. I will totally understand.

1. holy moly, YES I DO! i would feel too much like i was “out in the open” if you know what i mean;)
    elizabeth-flourish in progress recently posted..Monday Dare- now accepting applicationsMy Profile

2. Pam says:

Is anything too personal at this age? LOL

None of the women in our family (myself and the four daughters) wear panties with pantyhose. You can also include my mother and her sister in this. However, my grandmother always did. Is it completely weird that I know this about them?

We rarely wear pantyhose anyway down here anyway—it’s hot enough without adding to it!
    Pam recently posted..Happy Birthday!My Profile

Thanks for the info Pam. Your grandmother wore pantyhose? Just when did they come out? I wouldn’t have thought that long ago.

BTW- I don’t think it’s weird that you know about them. If I remember correctly you’re in the SE, where it can be very sultry most of the year. I probably wouldn’t wear them usually either.

3. Donna says:

No way do I wear panties with panty hose. Oh wait, I just don’t wear panty hose. ONly if I must.
    Donna recently posted..Field Trip – The Weird ShoppeMy Profile

4. Libby says:

I haven’t worn panty hose, even once, since I moved out on my own. I pay my own rent, I eat ice cream whenever I want and I don’t wear panty hose. Yay, adulthood!!

But if I did, you’d better believe I’d be packing some bloomers. I mean, I’m living on the edge but I’m not THAT loose. ;)

Adulthood definitely has it perks, until you get to be really, really adult, then not so much. Thanks for your input kiddo.

5. Hello BB me lovely, sorry but I have to admit that I DO wear panties under my pantyhose. But I have a good, but if slightly gross, reason for doing so. I don’t like the stretchy polyester material of pantyhose touching my … uhum…. bits. But bloody hell …… I think you have stumbled upon a debate that could spark real controversy!
    Annie (Lady M) x recently posted..Its Gruesome Injury Day! Lets compare accidents!My Profile

No worries kiddo. To each their own. I love you anyway Miss Annie. But don’t they have pantyhose with cotton innards on your side of the pond though?

6. feefifoto says:

Pantyhose? What is this thing you call “pantyhose”?
    feefifoto recently posted..Wordless Wednesday- More Menu FailMy Profile

7. Darla says:

I wear underwear with my pantyhose, because I am sensitive there and bare nylon anywhere near my sensitive areas will cause an infection for me. That little cotton liner isn’t enough to, shall we say, handle me? I am trying to skirt around another issue that going without would cause. Hope you catch my drift.

But it’s a moot point for me, because most of the time, I don’t wear pantyhose. Was I bad for not wearing it to my mother-in-law’s funeral? Is that why some of the older ladies looked askance at me? Or maybe I just had something in my teeth and nobody told me.

Oh, my husband hates pantyhose. He likes bare legs the best. He never understood other men getting hot over it, he thought they must have fetishes. He likes cotton panties best. I introduced him to boy shorts and he likes those too.

Probably TMI about my life but there you go.

How could you be bad for just not wearing pantyhose? Now if you wore a grass skirt and a coconut bra to her funeral then we might have something to talk about. As far as why some of the older ladies were looking at you I could only speculate.

• Darla says:

Ha Ha, I can just see me now wearing a coconut bra in Commerce, TX. Nope, wore the appropriate black, but I am very pale, so the no pantyhose was obvious, but it just might be that I am a bit different from the rest of the family. No matter, I loved my mother-in-law and she accepted me with open arms while she was on this earth. I really miss her and I know I am lucky that I had that kind of relationship with my MIL.

8. Holly B says:

I guess in order to wear panties under hose, I would have to first wear panties… and hose. I’m a commando kind of girl!!
    Holly B recently posted..It Happens Every Night In My BedroomMy Profile

I have done that occasionally on date nights out with Doug. It makes him crazy. I don’t know if I could handle it with jeans though.

9. Holly B says:

That might have been TMI.
    Holly B recently posted..It Happens Every Night In My BedroomMy Profile

10. I’ve done both…depends on my mood…But it has been quite a while since I have worn Pantyhose…
    Kim Wright (Pinkim) recently posted..Why I Do What I Do!!My Profile

11. Erika says:

I try to live my life so that pantyhose are not necessary. But, if I HAD to wear them, I would also wear panties. Ewww.

12. Jenn says:

I usually do wear panties with my pantyhose. My Mother never did for the same reason you pose. I also think that she didn’t like panty lines. I mean who does. Once I came out I didn’t wear pantyhose anymore because I gave up on dresses, lol.
    Jenn recently posted..The Plague – Day 213My Profile

Wait. Women still wear pantyhose? When I need to wear stockings, I wear the Victoria’s Secret thigh-highs with power grips. But mostly, I go with bare legs until I get so white you can see every freaking vein… Then, I must resort to self tan lotion…
    Liz C. recently posted..Yes- Im One Of Those People Who Sings In Their CarMy Profile

Yes, Mrs. Snoots, some of us still do wear pantyhose on rare occasions. I tried self tanner once. Actually I had Doug apply it. He stopped on the back of leg above my ankle in back. I wasn’t paying attention. Later I looked like I’d been pieced together. I fear if I tried thigh highs they’d wind up around my ankles and knowing me that’ll happen soon enough anyway.