Michele On January - 2 - 2011

I thought it was about time to catch up with what was going on the world, outside my little corner of it, that is. So I start to look around on CNN.com and what is one of the very first things I see?

Isabelle Caro, French model, dead at 28 from anorexia. I looked at her photos. They made me sick. Apparently it is time once again for me to drag out my soapbox.

This subject makes me both incredibly sad and really angry. Apparently Isabelle had suffered with this for a number of years, at one time getting down to as little as 55 lbs. From what I can gather she was once told that in order to be model she had to lose weight-; and you can bet she wasn’t heavy to begin with. And as sometimes tragically happens in people, that statement flipped a switch in her brain that sent her down a hideous path to her all too young¬† death.

Over 20 years ago I now heard a teenage girl say in an interview with Phil Donahue “I did eat breakfast today. I had my Cheerio.” That was no joke. That’s what that girl said. At lunch she was going to “pig out” and have some celery.

I can’t begin to understand how the mind of an anorexic works. I think it would be a scary place indeed.

What makes me crazy is that so much pressure is brought to bear on young women by people in positions of authority in the modeling business and in Hollywood where being stick thin is often a requirement and rewarded.

The average woman is the U.S. is a size 12.

Is that really so God awful? Get the Hell over it people. If I could I’d take a switch to most of the clothing designers while screaming this question at them: Why are you making so many of the sample sizes so incredibly tiny, therefore putting unbelievable pressure on girls who want to become models?– and the clothes so BUTT UGLY to boot.

Do you need glasses, Lasik or just a swift kick? Perhaps all three?

Just who do you think is actually going to wear that shit? Not the vast majority of women in the world, that’s who. So why do you keep trying to cram it down our throats and make us feel less than beautiful because we can’t or won’t wear it. Things that look good on a size 0 are not going to look good on a woman size 12 or God forbid 18.

Perhaps they think every woman over a size 6 should have a warning system on her ass so when she backs up it beeps, like the garbage trucks do.

Do you think people really should shun a size 12 woman on the beach who is wearing a swimsuit? Should they they cover their children’s eyes so as not to let them see the hideous spectacle?

I’d love to be a size 12 again. I was at one time; but that was sometime last century. My wedding dress, which I never got to wear, was a size 8. I’d worked hard to get to down that size from a whopping size 14, and in the process lost half my boobs and many of my curves. I became “chicken chested”, all bony looking around my collarbone. It was not a good thing. I was not made to be that small, truly.

Should I lose some weight now? You bet. I’m not disputing that. I’m not saying that I would be a vision of beauty parading around on a beach in a bikini these days- far from it. But did you look at those pictures of Isabelle? Neither would she have been, prior to her death.

At her biggest, my mom wore at size 10.¬† But even when she was a size 10, she never starved herself to be that size. Some people are just genetically destined to be smaller. It’s like eye color. I’ve got a friend who’s never been bigger than a size 6 her whole life. And on top of it she eats like a lumberjack every meal, and never exercises.

I hate love her. No I do love her. But it is frustrating that she can eat anything, at anytime and never gain an ounce, when the rest of us suffer when we make bad choices. Almost everyone I know put on at least a few pounds over the holidays.

Not her, the bitch. But forgive me, I’m rambling…

I got so fired up about this topic this morning I read a lot about her and came across this: On “thinspiration” Internet forums yesterday there were a number of tributes glorifying the model’s anorexia problems. One blog placed a picture of a painfully thin looking Caro alongside the words “die young, stay pretty“.

How sad is that?

My soapbox is being put away now. Back to the funny manana.

1. Donna says:

My daughter is bulimic and it is truly a thing that breaks my heart. she has times that she does really good about not doing it, but then falls back into it when things get rough.
    Donna recently posted..My Year In Review – Question StyleMy Profile

I’m sorry for you Miss Dazee. That’s just got to be hard on a mom to see her young one suffer with.

3. Hiya BB! I’m back! Sorry I haven’t been around for a couple of days, but I spent Christmas oop North and most of em don’t have internet connection.

I loved this post that you did.. I find it shocking that size zero women are still banded around magazines as though they are ‘normal’. I read a horrible article the other day about a model agency recruiting a ‘plus size model’ who was actually a size 12! WTF?
    Annie (Lady M) x recently posted..Back to Oxford- back to civilisation apart from Naughty George honkingMy Profile

4. Aleta Woods says:

Yes, we should all be perfect size 6, 8, or 10. And I have a bridge in Arizona I would like to sell you. I am like you, Michelle, it makes no sense. Granted, we all should be in better shape, but not at the sacrifce of good old common sense. BTW, what color is your soapbox? Mine is hot pink. LOL

Hot pink is good for a soapbox. Starts you off with a lot of attention. Mine is black and white polka dotted. As you know I try to be always fashion forward.

5. Jeanne Kraus says:

This was such a sad interview to watch. How their perception of themselves can be so distorted. She looked so much older than her age. Unbelievably sad.
    Jeanne Kraus recently posted..My Bucket Runneth OverMy Profile

I agree Jeanne. It was sad to watch. And after watching it it makes me all the more pissed at those idiots who dictate how young women “must” look.

6. Very Sad…makes it hard to raise a young daughter…
    Kim Wright (Pinkim) recently posted..Blog Hop! Meet me on Monday!My Profile

7. Darla says:

Hey Michele,

I have been away for a few days too. I keep up with the news almost daily and I saw the pictures of that model as well. I had a dear friend in high school that suffered from anorexia. From my observations of her and other girls I have known that suffered from it, there are some common personality traits. Number One: They are already prone to anxiety issues. Number Two: Their life feels out of control to themselves, whether it’s because someone is controlling them too much (case with my friend in h.s.) or they feel emotionally out of control. My friend actually expressed that motivation. She said “my body was the one thing I had control over.” Number Three: Addictive personality. It starts off small and progressively gets worse because they become addicted to the exercise, the deprivation, or the self-punishment. Also, it’s really bad because they actually see fat in themselves that no one else can see. Their visual perception becomes that distorted. That’s why treatment is so hard.

I think society is a partial influence, but there are people who get addicted to exercise or controlling themselves. It actually can provide a high to those who are prone to it.

Donna, I don’t know you, but I am sorry to hear about your daughter as well. I know it’s not easy. It is very good that you are there for her, offering your love and support.

Hi Darla. I’ve never personally known someone with a diagnosed eating disorder. But from everything that I’ve read it must be extremely difficult to cure. I can’t honestly imagine it.