Michele On January - 15 - 2012

Saturday night I had Doug help me color my hair.

It was time. It isn’t that my hair has that much grey yet; for my age it really doesn’t.

It’s just as I’ve gotten older it’s lost most of it’s shine. On a bad day it looks like I have a sick nutria perched on my head. So I color it to give it some oomph, such as it is.

Shiny hair is like grip strength, you never know how much you’ll miss it til you don’t have it anymore.

Anywaay… usually it comes out fine.

This time, not so much.

I’d found the 2 bottles under the bathroom sink. I knew what to do, and how long to leave it on.

What I didn’t know apparently was the color. The box was long gone when I found the bottles.

Apparently now I’m channeling Gene Simmons.

My hair is dark- really dark, darker than it ever was naturally. When I walked into Amanda’s house today, she looked a me and took a step back.

Were you a Seinfeld fan?

If so, just remember Kramer when he looked surprised? That was the reaction I got from her.

Of course I could strip the dark out and re-color; but that’d really damage my hair so I’m just gonna live with it. It’ll fade in 28 shampoos anyway; that’ll be late March, but such is life.

Now onto other exciting news…

It’s official.

My Toshiba laptop, AKA Japanese POS, is dead. So says Nathan, guru of all things computer.

Actually it isn’t actually totally dead yet. However, it’s afflicted with the same thing it had last year, when it was just 1 yr. old. And I’ll be damned if I put another penny into it only to have the same thing happen again a year from now. I can’t run a business with a computer that may or may not work on any particular day.

It’s moody.

And there’s only room for one moody bitch at our house and it’s me.

The only good news is that Nate says he ‘s pretty sure he’ll be able to get all the info off it before I put it on the railroad tracks and wait for the train to smash it to smithereens.

I want to see it crushed into a zillion little pieces.

Literally.

I need to.

Nathan looked around and found another computer for me. This one’s a desktop. That’s what we had before. He said I can get a lot more bang for less money than a laptop so that’s what I’m going to do; but it’ll probably still be a few weeks before I do so.

We pay cash for everything these days. We paid off our credit cards years ago and got rid of all of them; and most of the time I think that’s a good thing. I never dread going to the mailbox like some people do. When we have the money for something we get it; when we don’t we wait. But right now I just sent out a lot of money to secure spots in the spring shows we always do; and we had an unexpected car repair. January is always a tough month- a lot of cash out and not much back in.

When we had the mortgage company I looked at people’s debt load every day on their credit reports. One guy had $70,000 in credit card debt. Most of it was at jewelry stores. Whenever he bought his girlfriend something, he bought the same thing for his wife, because he felt guilty he said.

He was a real peach. I was so tickled when he got turned down for his loan.

But I seem to be rambling again, sorry…

I do have some good news though. I delivered my first wholesale order for Ecofab on Saturday. A man I met at Discovery Green ordered 10 flower pots, made from LP’s for his nursery. Basically there just like our wall art from LP’s only they’re more upright, so they can hold a plant.

When I went to his nursery yesterday they were women from a couple of garden clubs there. They oohed and aahhhed over them as I was unpacking them. It wasn’t a huge order but it was over $100, so it was a good way to start.

Then I went to a shop that sells old LP’s. The guy there wants to see a wholesale price sheet, which of course I didn’t have with me. (I haven’t even made one up yet.)  I told him I’d get back to him next week. But he sent me next door to a small boutique. The owner bought 4 bracelets and 6 pairs of earrings for her place. I went next door again and showed the shop owner some of the extra pots I had. She’s considering selling some in her shop too.

So even though I didn’t have invoices with me or business cards I guess we’re growing.

We did a farmer’s market yesterday and I met a woman who works for an airline. She said her company lets vendors come in on their paydays and set up and sell. From what she said it’s a great thing. Too bad their last payday was this past Friday. But at least I’ll have something to look forward to for the end of the month.

I’ve got a great photo for the Bizarrometer. However it’s locked somewhere inside my POS Toshiba which at this juncture is closed tighter than a nun’s knees so I can’t get to it. But it’s a goody for sure.

I’ll be around when I can. In the meantime you guys behave yourselves.

1. Jeanne Kraus says:

You had me at the title! I have to check out this ecofab thing. Going online to do it now.

I am picturing you with shoe polish hair.
    Jeanne Kraus recently posted..Buy Buy BabyMy Profile

So glad that business seems to be picking up!

My sympathies on the death of your beloved computer.

I had my own weird hair experience last night. Fortunately,not MY hair. We went to a really nice restaurant last night to celebrate my son-in-law’s birthday. An older gentleman (maybe 80-85) was having dinner with his wife. He was wearing a visor & his thick salt & pepper hair, about 2″ long, was sticking up behind the visor. There was a party of 12 at the table next to him. The 2 tables were apparently chatting back & forth, because at one point the older man smiled at them & tipped the visor in a gentlemanly manner. I couldn’t believe what I saw. The hair, which was not his, but a part of the visor, came off! It was part of a baseball cap, with the hair sewn on the top so it would look realistic. He then put it back on. I’m glad to report that I was successful in not spitting my red wine all over everybody.

• melynda says:

First of all that is awesome. My ex needs one of those hats. It would make him feel better. Phil has a head full of hair but shaves it cause it drives him nuts. Also it’s his little F U to my ex since my ex is naturally bald. Men. Secondly congrats on the business growing Michel and sorry about your tragic lose. Take the old lap top out and set it behind your car. Run it over then pull forward and do it again. OR get a sledge hammer and go nuts. It’s amazing how that will relieve stress.
      melynda recently posted..THE DAY I JOINED THE CIRCUS, by FishduckyMy Profile

3. darn computers anyway. errrrr. I’m so excited that you got some of your ecofab stuff in boutiques. woo hoo
    Dazee Dreamer recently posted..Road TripMy Profile

4. Elisa says:

ROFL about the guy with the jewelry debt. I’m glad he got turned down too.

I’m sorry about your computer :(

5. You made mer laugh…I have a grey nutria on my head. And the idea of Evelyn greeting you with a Kramer expression.

I wrote a post called “Drunken Monkeys with a Sledgehammer” (or something very similar) all about sledge hammering a VCR…I suggest youi sledgehammer the computer. It’s amnazingly cathartic.

And, so please about the good reviews for Ecofab…it will only get better and better!
    “Susan Says…” recently posted..Happy Birthday, Dr. KingMy Profile

6. Pearl says:

I certainly SHALL behave myself, but I recommend that you not and go ahead and smash that damn thing.

I understand the lack of shine in the hair, by the way. I actually ADD shine via various oils. I’m one dry SOB to begin with, so adding oil to my hair seems right.

Pearl
    Pearl recently posted..It Doesn’t Always Have to be ComplexMy Profile

7. I refuse to get into the credit card mess. We have student loans and that’s enough! I’m so glad to hear that Ecofab is already growing! Wahoo! Sounds like you are trying to match your hair to the LP’s ;)
    Padded Cell Princess recently posted..Monkey farts are making me fatMy Profile

8. There shouldn’t be an apostrophe between it and s in this sentence (both places):

“It’s just as I’ve gotten older it’s lost most of it’s shine.”

A good rule of thumb that can help determine when an apostrophe is warranted: say (or write) the sentence as if the (implied) contraction wasn’t there, for example
    “…gotten older it is lost most of it is shine.”

If the “it is” replacement doesn’t make sense, it probably does not belong.

9. DWei says:

Honestly I’d go with a desktop. You can get a fairly decent one built for around $500 if you assemble it yourself. I’d expect maybe another $50 if you want a guy to do it for you depending on the cost.

Yes it doesn’t have the mobility of a laptop but it’s a lot more powerful and if a part fails you can just replace it.
    DWei recently posted..Italian Wedding Soup and UpdatesMy Profile

10. Zinedine says:

Haha The cheating guy story made me “hmmph” :)

I also wrote down the word “unfucked” – gotta use it everyday now :D
    Zinedine recently posted..Is Creatine Really Dangerous for BodybuildersMy Profile

Welcome young one. Glad you liked it. You’d be amazed just how handy that word is. I use it a lot. Probably more than I should actually.

11. Kara says:

I’ve got the hair thing figured out. Well…not the Gene Simmon’s channeling, but the lack of shine. Try rinsing with 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar mixed in a Cup of water. It strips off the calcium, minerals, and gunk that build-up on your hair and leaves it soft & shinny. Trust me :)
    Kara recently posted..Black Bears in Algonquin ParkMy Profile

12. Janet NZ says:

… rolling my eyes at ima blogreader (wanker)
    If you need help breaking your old computer – let me know – I can be there within days!
    Great news that Ecofab is taking off – long may that continue…
    Also, would you please tell me HOW DOES ONE PIN anything on Pintrest??? And, why don’t they have their own tutorial??? – humph!
    Am off to snarl at Jehova’s Witnesses now… :-))
    Janet NZ recently posted..Back on TrackMy Profile

13. Sandy says:

Poor laptop. Be sure to save pieces after the train runs over it. You are Ecofab after all. What will you make from it?

Morning M, “Unfucked” hahaha love it! Might just use that word or action on a after date…TRACK ;-)))

I think you should take a sledge hammer to the old puter & get rid of a little frustration. Well, that’s what I would do…
    Liz C. recently posted..Houston, We Have Lift Off… AKA The New Guest Room Is Done!My Profile

16. I’ve been very happy with Dell products. Had a desk top that was still working great after six years, but gave it away because I didn’t have room when I moved. Not I have a Dell laptop. Think it cost $700 and I couldn’t be more pleased. It’s the 15″ Inspirion with the Intel 5 thingamagig.

Congrats on all the great business you’re doing!
    injaynesworld recently posted..injaynesworld it’s the "Sunday Recap…"My Profile