Michele On January - 12 - 2012

Hi guys.

I wanted to pop in and say hi and thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement for Amanda.

I’m happy to report she got home yesterday afternoon.

And she was able to avoid surgery. They all passed on their own.  She was even able to miss the CAT scan.

After we got her back to our side of town everyone went for lunch. As you might imagine Doug, myself , she and Nathan were not exactly sparkling conversationalists, having been at the ER the whole night before. Evelyn who came for lunch carried most of the conversation since she wasn’t sleep deprived.

By 2pm yesterday I was in deep ZZZ’s and stayed that way til some time after 7.

I woke up just in time for the People’s Choice Awards.

Why I even bothered to turn it on I have no idea. I only knew at best 50% of the people nominated and of those probably 20% by name only. When they announced the winner they didn’t even identify what show they came from. So for the most part, I was clueless. Not that that’s anything new these days.

I was in time to catch Adam Sandler’s bit which I guess he thought was funny.

I didn’t. And it went on way long too.

I think next year I’ll just watch something on Netflix.

After the show was over I thought I’d get online, visit everyone and perhaps write a post for today.

I thought I would anyway.

It wasn’t to be.

My Toshiba laptop, a Japanese POS, has taken ill again and is down yet again.

Sadly, this is nothing new.

I’m going to see if Nathan has the time tonight and can resurrect it.

I’m not holding out a lot of hope however.

If it can’t be I’m really screwed. I have photos ready to load for Ecofab.

I’m at Amanda’s now and using their desktop computer. But it’d be a huge imposition if I had to be here everyday. Not to mention I’m not even sure I could run a site without a working computer at home.

So depending on whether or not Nate’s successful you may or may not see me around a lot. I’m in no position to buy another computer right now. That much I know.

My chuckle for the day came this morning when a young woman from the hospital where I went for my kidney stones called.

“Mrs. Eigler, we were wondering if you’d like to set up a payment plan for your recent stay?”

“What did you have in mind?” I asked

“$1,150 a month for 18 months.” she casually replied, like it was no big deal.

“If I had that much extra a month we’d have health insurance.” I said.

So, I made my first payment today, a whopping $50. I assured her that I’d get it paid off. She may have retired by the time it finally is, but it’ll get done-eventually.

I guess that’s it for now. I’ve got to get back home. We have a small show on Saturday and have to get things ready. It’s going to be 29 early Saturday morning when we leave the house. I can’t wait.

If Nathan can resurrect my POS I’ll see everyone manana. So please keep your fingers crossed and thanks again for all your well wishes. I read them all; please forgive me for not replying personally.

1. and that is the very reason I’m scared to death to not have insurance.
    Dazee Dreamer recently posted..I Spy – Remembrance(s)My Profile

Maybe you should change the name of your blog to “Living on the Edge”–but I’m scared to think of what you’d land in if you fell off!

3. Aleta Woods says:

Well, if you keep rolling downhill, you should eventually hit rock bottom, and then you will have no where to go, but up. :)

4. My goodness! I am so glad that I managed to get my kidney stones just before I left my job that gave me health insurance! YIKES!!! When it rains, it pours…if only it would come in the form of tequila ;)
    Padded Cell Princess recently posted..This is basically a post for my best friend but you all can eavesdropMy Profile

5. Perspective: So glad Amanda is okay…fuck everything else.
    “Susan Says…” recently posted..Mr. Fluffy Pants Pays a VisitMy Profile

6. Janet NZ says:

I agree with Susan. So glad Amanda is feeling better XO
    Janet NZ recently posted..Me – I’d RUN!My Profile

M, It’s a wonder that so many we elect don’t see the need for nation-wide health insurance! $1,150.00 a month, and Of course you would have health insurance for that kind of money. Amanda I hope you’re covered with some, it would make you feel even better, glad they passed (stones)…TRACK

8. Kara says:

I’m glad to hear that Amanda will be okay, but I’m blown away by your hospital bill! Up here in Canada, we like to bitch about our health care system, but when I read about stories like yours, it makes me appreciate how just how lucky we are.
    Kara recently posted..Friday’s Feature #3My Profile

9. Jan says:

Great news that she was able to pass the stones without surgical intervention. I’ve never had one but have witnessed the effects they can have and, thank you but no, I don’t care to experience it.

A co-worker of mine was laid low by kidney stones one morning. He’s a mucho macho guy, deer hunter, off-roader, kind of guy, so when I saw him litterally twisted with pain on the gurney as they were taking him to the ER, I decided against using any of verbal barbs I had ready.
    Jan recently posted..primary careMy Profile

Seriously, those hospital costs are brutal. I was so thrilled to get my colonoscopy for free, I nearly wet my pants. We’re paying out the first $5,000.00 for hubby’s CAT scan (monthly) & his colonoscopy, also my dental implants. I try not to think about it too much or I get wacky.

Good luck w/ your computer & pictures. I know how important they are. My hard drive died a few years ago & I lost everything that wasn’t already *out there* on the internet, which was a lot. We had a daily backup but evidently it had not been working for a while….
    Liz C. recently posted..Yet Another Mini-Snowmageddon In West Texas….My Profile