Michele On February - 1 - 2013

Gizmo died last night.

We had him at the vet yesterday. He said that Giz had developed a heart murmur and had prescribed Enalapril for him. He said the new meds wouldn’t cure it of course; but they were the drug of choice for treatment. He gave him a thorough check up. He checked his gums, to make sure that his circulation was good and it was. Both his lungs were clear.

On the way home yesterday we stopped at a resale shop. I put Gizmo in the seat of the cart as we shopped.  There was a man with Down’s at the resale shop. He took a real shine to Gizmo. Then when we got home he had some chicken and took a nap while Amanda and I took Molly and Daisy for a walk.

Last night he wasn’t very hungry. Then before I went to sleep he cuddled with me for a long time.

Before I went to sleep though he hopped off the bed and went underneath. We could hear him scratching the carpet. Doug said to leave him alone.

But in my heart I knew something was wrong.

Then this morning when the rest of the pack was letting us know they were up and ready to go out we didn’t hear Giz.

He wasn’t under the bed anymore either.

He’d moved during the night across the room, behind the big chair; and that’s where he was when Doug found him this morning.

It hadn’t been very long.

Doug handed him to me and I sat smoothing his fur and apologizing to him; and one by one the rest of the pack came in to say goodbye. Daisy, who was Gizmo’s BFF seemed the most freaked out. Lazer who usually bounds up on the bed like a maniac jumped up, then instead of spinning in circles and acting crazy,  Lazer immediately just collapsed next to me, sniffing Gizmo over and over.

I called Amanda to see if she wanted to come over but she said she didn’t think she could take seeing him. Evelyn is sick, so we can’t get together today either.

Eventually Doug took Gizmo away; and although in my heart I know that one day I will see him again and that he is with Little Bit and Charlie Brown and Simba And Kiwi and Buddy, right now I feel like my heart is in a million pieces.

Giz in his winter coar 001

I called our vet, who was so sweet. He said it wasn’t my fault. It could have happened at any time, without warning. He said that short of having a defibrillator there there was nothing that could have been done. Gizmo was at least 10. (Since he was a rescue we don’t know exactly how old he was when we got him.)

I love you Giz.

See you soon, Mom

Oh, Michele, I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you as I know how sad it is to loss one of our furry family members. Know that I will be thinking of you today.
    Cheryl P. recently posted..Eye On The PrizeMy Profile

2. Awww Michele, I can’t imagine what you are going through. That is just so awful. I bet Gizmo is in doggy heaven now, looking down on you with a big bone. I hope you are ok.
    Annie (Lady M) x recently posted..Taxidermy Gone Wrong. Again. MarvellousMy Profile

We know when we add a furry member to our family that we will probably outlive them, but that doesn’t make it any easier–I am SO sorry for your loss!
    fishducky recently posted..BOOK REVIEW: "MOBY DICK" (FIRST IN AN OCCASIONAL SERIES)My Profile

4. jenny_o says:

I’m so sorry. For such little guys they can sure leave a big hole in our hearts. The only comfort I’ve ever found is to know I did the best for my pets while they were with me. From what I’ve read on your blog, that little fella had a good family to call his own. Take care of yourself.

Welcome Jenny and many thanks for your sweet words. You echoed exactly what Doug said yesterday. He did have a good life with us; it was just way too short for me.

5. Janet NZ says:

Oh Michele. There aren’t any words that will make you feel better. Dear little Gizmo was loved by more people than he could ever dream of.

6. Poor, sweet Gizmo! I’m so sorry for your great loss. Big hugs to you and the rest of the pack!
    Padded Cell Princess recently posted..Tip of The Day – crazy theory additionMy Profile

I’m holding on to all the others one extra hard right now Princess.

8. Vapid Vixen says:

Aw hell. This is actually why I haven’t been able to bring myself to get another pet after I lost my last dog. It’s so heartbreaking I can’t stand it. I’m so sorry you’ve lost sweet little Gizmo and my heart aches for you.
    Vapid Vixen recently posted..FIRMOO!! Yeah, I didn’t know what that meant either.My Profile

Vixen I felt just like you after we lost our Golden Retriever, Buddy. In fact I think Doug was about to have me hospitalized for depression. Then eventually I was ready to love again and now here we are with 4 still here.

I really appreciate your kindness.

This is just so sad. I’m crying so hard for you right now, because I’ve been there & I know how it feels. Gizmo was such a cutie-patootie & I know you’ll miss him terribly. When our Cairn Terrier passed, Mr. Snoots said he never wanted another dog. It hurt him pretty badly & he doesn’t want to hurt like that again. We still have the cat but I see her looking for ole Lulu now & then, in all the old places, and it always breaks my heart.

It’s hard to lose a family member…. Hugs to you friend.
    Liz C. recently posted..The Return Of The Fox Family… We Hope!My Profile

M, I am so sorry about Giz! I have been under the weather lately and just getting back to norm I hope. Hugs to you and the family.
    Amanda feel better soon. Thinking of you…TRACK